Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Sock Yarn List

First I have to say thanks to my SP9 spoiler for the wonderful welcome. I wait eagerly in anticipation. No pressure, since I often do. I just love mail.

I also sent a little special welcome for my SP9 spoilee. They were very happy to have such a special welcome which made me glad. I hope I am a good SP9 pal.

Ok, so on another front, I have gone ga ga over sock yarn ...really this post is more for me than for you. Over the past few weeks I have been lusting over sock yarns. I love seeing the beautiful sock pictures from brooklyntweed and bitter purl so much that I have been a little inspired. Given I have been inspired before and never followed through so I am not promising sock pictures any time soon. But I thought I would compile a list of yarns created by bloggers and blogged about by fellow bloggers so that I can actually find these places again when the mood hits. If you have any yarns that you just love, leave a comment so that I can check it out.

Also, since I currently have not experience with sock yarns, this is not in order of priority and any excluded yarns are for lack of knowledge as opposed to lack of love. If I actually get some of these and use them, I will add some comments for other newbie sock knitters in search of a good list of yarns.

In the meantime, I will add an asterisk to each yarn that receives a positive comment from someone who has bought or worked with it. Check out the comments section for what they have to say.

The Sock Yarn List (Updated: 10/21)

Sundara Yarn**
All Things Heather*
Sunshine Yarn's*
Yarn Pirate*
Sweet Georgia*
Yarntini*
Piece of Beauty
Vesper Yarn
Socks That Rock
Ideal Sock*
The Sweet Sheep (A one stop sock shop)
The Loopy Ewe*(A one stop sock shop)

5 Comments:

Jeanne said...

I have yarn from both Sweet Georgia and Sundara -- I ordered some of the custom-dyed silky aran/merino from Sundara about two weeks ago and she went above and beyond in customer service for me. I also have some of her sock yarn and, while I haven't knit with it yet, it's lovely soft yarn. The Sweet Georgia yarn I have is laceweight mohair, and not sock yarn, but the colors are beautiful too.

Both were wrapped in tissue paper with handwritten tags, and I had really good interactions with both of them. So yes, highly recommend both, but particularly Sundara.

Anonymous said...

All Things Heather has some great sock yarn....you may want to check out a site called Loopy Ewe.
Sheri, the owner does sock yarn and nothing but sock yarn from many different manufacturers.
You might want to start with socks that are on bigger needles so you can get them done faster and do the mechanics of socks with a bit more ease. your Pal.

Anonymous said...

G'day from Australia. I just wanted to say hi and to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog and that you inspired me to start my own blog last week. Thanks so much.

http://crowjane.wordpress.com/

Leah said...

I also really like Sunshine yarns. Dani has really lovely customer service (with fun tissue paper, handwritten tags and great communication). Her colorways are bright and fantastic and she will work with you to create the colorway you want!

All around a lovely person to deal with.

I also have to recommend the new ideal sock from pureknits. It's super soft and comes in great semi solid colors for all those lacey socks that are so hot right now!

Otherwise the list is great so far! I love everything I've gotten from sundara and yarntini!

Thanks for the putting it together!

Anonymous said...

Hey you! Thanks for being the first person to post a comment on my blog. You made me smile :)
On the subject of things we have in common, my boyfriend's lovely mum gave me a voucher for sewing lessons for my birthday in September, but I can't go until my back is up for it. Good luck on Monday... I hope you have a rewarding and fun time at sewing lessons and I look forward to seeing what you create.