Monday, December 25, 2006

Knit From Your Stash 2007



I am scared!! I am very scared as this is something I know needs to happen but makes me feel as though I will fail. But as Henry Ford stated

"Whether you think you can, or thing you can't,
You're Right."

So I am taking the "can do" approach with the Knit From Your Stash 2007. I had a destash in mind for 2007 anyway and I will continue with my thought out approach of weighing my yarn and trying to reduce it by half (in lbs that is). However, I think that the support group idea that will inevitably materialize within the knitting bloggerspere will help to strengthen my resolve.

So here are the rules to this group destash-along and my addendum:
  • The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through December 31, 2007 -- a period of TWELVE months. - I modified this a little as I just need to get this stash widdled down and my Stitches event comes in February.
  • We will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:
    • Sock yarn does not count- Okay, sock yarn does count for me as this could just spiral into another dependancy cycle
    • If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that we really and truly do not have the yarn for, we may buy yarn to knit that gift - This one should not be too hard as I don't really gift knit...yes, I am stingy
    • If we are knitting something and run out of yarn, we may purchase enough to complete the project - I definitely agree on this one
    • We each get TWO "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- we are each allowed to fall off the wagon one time - I added another as I will be extending my destash for 12 months instead of nine. Stitches West is not counted as one of the two GOJF cards.
  • We are allowed to receive gifts of yarn - ok, here is my own personal rule that I will get to use up my $50.00 Michaels Gift Card for the purchase of yarn since the card itself was given as a gift.
My add on rules or exemptions are:
  • I will get to buy yarn at Stitches West in February - This has been planned out for some time so there is no way I am travelling all the way there and NOT buying yarn. This is NOT part of my 2 get out of jail free cards.
  • I will not beat myself up if I become weak and break the rules of this destash - I will instead get back on the horse and try to make it to the finish line.
  • I will be doing a stash enhancement before January 1, 2006 - as I have a few project set for 2007 but will be limited to 3 projects worth.
Wish me luck! And for all you fellow destashers I wish you all the strength that luck for 2007!

Hmmm...next, the list of project paired with yarns as the picking will be slim for the next 9 months.

1 Comment:

Mrs. Hipp said...

Excellent rules for yourself. I will try to throw as much knitterly support your way as I can.