Monday, January 08, 2007

No...It's Not a Stocking



No. It is not too big.

No. I will not be felting it.

No. It is not a Christmas stocking.

Yes. That is the size of my foot

Yes. They DO fit!

Sorry for the outburst there but these are just some of the questions and answers my first Jaywalker has solicited from fellow knitters and non-knitters alike.

As you can see from the picture this is no ordinary sock. This is the sock that brings out all the insecurities of a large size foot. Before I casted on I had researched the Jaywalker and hear of regular sized feet having trouble with the fitted design of the sock so I knew I had to do something. Grumperina came to the rescue with the larger size modifications. I originally casted on for the largest size (10.5" circumference) but ended up ripping out and going with the 9.75".

When I casted on I was amazed at the size. As I continued to knit, I was appalled by the size. This is like walking past a mirror and realizing that your butt is about 2 sizes bigger than you imagined it. THIS IS THE SIZE OF MY FOOT. If you ever wondered what a size 12W looks like, here it is! I was even in the Payless a few weeks ago and saw a mid-40, possible cross dressing man trying on shoes in my section!! Normal people would have been shocked to see a man trying on woman's shoes, but I was more angry that this 6'2", 200+ man fit into MY size shoe. Is there no relief!

Now don't get me wrong. I love my first sock. It came out wonderfully and fits like a rather large glove. I have already begun the second sock and am working diligently to finish.



But sometimes I want to have those really cute shoes that everyone else has. Oh well, we all want something in this life. I am just grateful that my height and shoes size provide me with excellent balance. Tree pose ain't got nothin' on me. And if I can ever stretch this far, I am sure I will rock the Lord of the Dance Pose too.


1 Comment:

Mrs. Hipp said...

This is so funny! I totally sympathize with the big foot thing. Mine are big and wide and funny looking. I have a theory, though, that big feet/shoes make the rest of you look more slender. Love the Jaywalkers, the colors are gorgeous! I've been thinking of trying the pattern...thanks for the link to the wider pattern!